4.0. Windows - Upgrading from Dbvisit Standby version 9.0.x to 10.0.x
Important: Prior to installing Dbvisit Standby version 10 on Windows, please make sure you have performed the pre-requisite steps prior to starting the installer - Installing Dbvisit Standby#2.5.WindowsEnvironmentPre-requisites
In this section, we will review the process to upgrade an existing Dbvisit Standby version 9 installation to the latest version 10. It is recommended that before you perform the upgrade process that you have the Dbvisit Standby version 9 already at the latest version 9 update.
When upgrading a Windows-based installation, there are only a few key steps to follow. In summary, the installer will ask for the Dbvisit Base location to install the Dbvisit Software. If you already have an installation, please make sure you select the existing installation folder as the destination. The installer will detect that a version is already installed and will perform the upgrade - replacing the version 8 executable files with the new version 10.
The first step to stop any schedules if you have any configured.
The example below shows the disabling of a Windows scheduled task. Select the task, right click and select disable.
If you are using Daemon service, Please stop the daemon process in both Primary and Standby
- Click on Daemon Actions
- Select the host for which you want to stop the daemon service
- Click stop to completely stop the daemon service.
Below screenshot will provide the status of the daemon service.
4.2. Step 2: Installing the latest version 10.0.x software
- Download the latest Dbvisit Standby version 10 software, the install file will be a compressed zip file, example: dbvisit-standby10.0.0-win64.zip
- Extract the downloaded install file into a temporary folder, example D:\Software\dbvisit-standby10.0.0-win64.exe
- Make sure that you have stopped the Dbvisit Standby schedules and that you are not running any Dbvisit processes during the upgrade process. Stop the dbvagent and dbvnet services in both Primary and Standby. Also, stop the dbvserver service before proceeding with the installation. In this example the Primary server has dbvagent and dbvnet service and the standby has dbvagent,dbvnet and dbvserver services running. We also have the daemon service running which was stopped in the previous step.
4. Start the Installer by running (double click) the dbvisit-standby10.0.0-win64.exe file
The installer will start shortly. By default the installer will have the Dbvagent, Dbvnet and Standby CLI selected. Note that the Dbvserver (Central Console) is not selected. This is intentional as it is recommended to have the Dbvserver component installed on its own system. However, if required you can install the central console as part of the installation, but be advised that this is not recommended(We need to select it for this example as we have installed the dbvserver in standby). If the primary or standby system running the Central Console is down due to a disaster, you will not be able to access the Dbvisit Standby version 10 GUI. The installation process is similar to the Dbvisit Version 9.0.x installation process. The Dbvnet, Dbvagent and the Dbvserver configurations are updated and the services are started.
5. Once the above step is completed. Run the upgrade command from the Primary dbvctl.exe -d <DDC> -o upgrade . This has to be done before starting the daemon process in both primary and standby.
6. Apply the version 10 license key before starting the daemon service from Primary.
7. Now run the Archivelog send/apply manually and then start the daemon process for the automatic process to take over.
5. Steps performed post upgrade in the central console.
The steps performed are common for both Linux and Windows, After the CLI upgrade the GUI repository needs to updated with the latest DDC information.
1. Open the browser and type in the console address to view the version 10.0 GUI interface and to check the DDC file go to Manage Configurations page.
2. The DDC should still show the old version and allow you to click on the status to upgrade to the Version 10.0 release.
3. After the above step, you should see the current version of Dbvisit Standby and also the status showing a tick mark.
4. Post upgrade the Database Actions screen with Time Gap displayed between Primary and Standby (This will be displayed only after the first send and apply of archivelogs).